INTRODUCTION TO WORKING IN THE NHS - A COURSE FOR OVERSEAS DOCTORS (1 DAY)
Are you new to the UK? Want to know more about how the health system works? Do you want to understand the training system? Do you want advice and training on the values and behaviours that you are expected to demonstrate?
Our one-day Introduction to Working in the NHS course is specifically designed for overseas doctors who have recently arrived in the UK and are looking to understand the system better.
10% discount if you book 2 places on this course
or if you book another personal development/interview course at the same time.
PURPOSE OF ISC'S INTRODUCTION TO WORKING IN THE NHS COURSE
This course is specifically designed for doctors who are new to the NHS and want to gain a good understanding of the NHS and its expectations of the doctors who work within it. The course covers a very wide range of topics, including:
|NHS STRUCTURE & TRAINING
- History of the NHS
- Values of the NHS
- The various bodies involved with the NHS
- Commissioning of services
- Structure of the NHS and NHS Trusts
- Overview of current issues (5-year forward view, Sustainability and Transformation plans, 7-day working etc.)
- Clinical governance, information governance, reporting and complaints process (PALS, Duty of Candour), EWTD and rotas, etc.
- Overview of the training process across specialities.
- How can you enter the various training programmes and what is the process to apply?
- Tips on completing NHS job application forms and writing effective CVs.
INTERPERSONAL & COMMUNICATION SKILLS
- Where does communication fit and what are the rules for good communication?
- What is considered appropriate and not in western culture?
- Using body language to communicate
- Importance of language and how to address patients and colleagues appropriately.
- Managing ward-related issues
- Familiarising yourself with transfer protocols, dealing with questions and listening, spectrum of illness, active listening to avoid conflict
- Providing reassurance
|DUTIES OF A DOCTOR / GOOD MEDICAL PRACTICE
- Considerations of a junior doctor
- Key risk areas for junior doctors
- Dealing with patients and relatives
- Taking care of yourself and avoiding burnout
- Role of the clinical and educational or developmental supervisors
- Note keeping
- Patient safety
- Patient Consent
- Safeguarding issues
|DEALING WITH ON CALLS
- Appropriate clerking
- Prioritising clinical cases
- Handling deteriorating patients
- Dealing with CRASH situations
WHY COME TO OUR INTRODUCTION TO WORKING IN THE NHS COURSE FOR OVERSEAS DOCTORS?
Small group of MAXIMUM 18 candidates
In order to maintain the high quality of our courses, we accept only 18 participants. This enables interesting discussions to take place between candidates from a variety of backgrounds and specialities, and allows each candidate to enquire and contribute on topics that interest them personally.
A course written and delivered by experts
The course content, material and delivery is assured by experienced trainers who are also NHS consultants
We make complex issues easy to understand
All participants appreciate our ability to make dry, complex and opaque topics sound interesting and lively. We know what you need and how to approach it. Our course contains a mix of didactic sessions and discussions/debates to ensure that you can approach the relevant concepts from both a theoretical and practical angle, thereby optimising your learning experience.
DATES, VENUE AND FEE
Our course takes place in London. Courses are planned for the following dates:
LONDON COURSE DATES
|Saturday 8 July
||Sunday 9 July
OPEN - Book online COURSE IS FULL
Courses run at the Grange Holborn Hotel,
50-60 Southampton Row, London WC1B 5AR.
The hotel is located in Central London, near the British Museum.
Kings Cross, Euston, Tottenham Court Road, Russell Square, Holborn
9:30am prompt start, until 5pm
£225, all inclusive (Course, handout, refreshments & lunch)
WHAT OUR CLIENTS SAY
Over the years, we ISC Medical has developed a strong reputation for the quality, reliability, consistency and relevance of its courses. We achieve that by listening carefully to the feedback received from each candidate and ensuring that our courses are totally tailored to everyone's needs. Here are examples of feedback received on past courses:
"A brilliant course, full of explanations. A real eye-opener for new doctors in the NHS" Alisha
"Absolutely invaluable. I learnt more in one day at this course than I learnt in 2 months on the ward." Ahmed
To book a place on this one-day course, simply complete the form below with your chosen date and the name of the participant, speciality and current grade. Your booking will be confirmed automatically as soon as we receive the payment via our secure online payment system. Full instructions for the course, including pre-course work will be sent to you by email shortly after your booking.